With many outstanding advantages from the painless gastrointestinal endoscopy method: Especially reducing the feeling of pain and discomfort, many people choose it. So before performing this endoscopic method, what should be noted to have the most accurate results. Let CarePlus refer to the information below to find the answer.
Gastrointestinal endoscopy is the most commonly used method today in the diagnosis of gastric diseases. So what do you need to prepare before the endoscopy to make this process fast, convenient and give accurate results?
a. For Endoscopy - Esophagus - Stomach - Duodenum
– Endoscopy of the esophagus – stomach – duodenum is very simple to prepare, you just need to fast before the endoscopy for at least 6-8 hours, you can drink water but it is white water and a small amount, you can drink some medicine such as blood pressure medicine in the morning with white water (small amount).
b. For Colonoscopy
- Colonoscopy requires more preparation so that the colonic lumen is completely clean of stool, helping the doctor to observe the structure of the colon during colonoscopy. Colonoscopy is the best way to screen for colon cancer
– The day before the test, you should have a snack at noon and in the evening, you should avoid eating vegetables and fruits with small seeds (eg watermelon, dragon fruit, kiwi, ...). You are advised to have a light meal in the evening (at least 2 hours before taking the enema): eat porridge, soup, do not eat vegetables and whole meat.
If you take an overnight colon cleanse for your morning colonoscopy: you are prescribed 3 packs of Fortrans and 1 vial of simethicone (Air-X):
- Take colon cleansing medicine from 7 to 9 pm: mix 1 pack of Fortrans with 1 liter of water and drink it gradually every 200ml for 1 hour. You drink 2 packs in 2 hours continuously. The best water used to make Fortrans is filtered water or fresh coconut water.
You do not take diabetes medicine in the afternoon and morning of the colonoscopy. You take your blood pressure medication and other medications as daily with a small amount of water on the morning of your colonoscopy, which is painless.
Do not eat anything after using a colon cleanse. You can only drink white water (a small amount), if you are too hungry you can drink sugar water. Do not drink coffee, milk and colored fruit juices.
– Each patient may respond to bowel washes differently, usually you will have 10 to 15 loose stools.
– You must inform the medical staff if you are taking anticoagulants (eg aspirin, clopidogel, sintrom ....), and must stop anticoagulants at least 5 snoring before the endoscopy.